The healing process of people slows down as they age. Taking care of their skin and immediate treatment of wounds is an essential part of daily senior care. Although nursing or caregiver care is ideal, proper treatment can still be self-administered if they take on the correct way of treating wounds.
When a wound appears, it is important that seniors receiving homecare in Aurora, Colorado are given immediate action so that it can heal properly and without any complications. If left untreated, wounds may reoccur, heal slowly, or completely stop healing.
Follow these steps from our home health care in Colorado when a wound first appears:
- Apply pressure to the wound if it is bleeding profusely until it stops. If it doesn’t stop on its own, call 911.
- Clean the wound with soap or salt and water solution.
- Use a sterile bandage to cover the wound.
- Have the wound examined at a hospital or clinic.
- Make sure to follow the doctor’s instructions in wound treatment and care.
Keep in mind that in seniors, not all wounds are caused by injury. Sometimes, factors like diabetes and immobility contribute to the occurrence of wounds in their body. Following routines can help minimize the risk of bedsores and other skin conditions.
Do you have any tips when it comes to wound care and treatment? Share it with us and comment down below. And if you want to know more about wound care and prevention and senior care in general, contact Inspiration Home Health Care, LLC now.